Sunchowder's Emporia has moved to a hosted WordPress blog!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds.

If not, please visit http://www.sunchowdersemporia.com

Remember to update your bookmarks and sign up for the RSS feed.


Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fresh Plum Sauce


I set about to create a new Plum Sauce recipe on Friday to usesome of  my gorgeous lot of fresh plums.  I am creating a new line of products for my Farmer's Market booth in Winter Park, FL.   I make a gorgeous Plum, Apricot and Ginger Preserve which is delightful and I believe I might have a flavor hit with this new sauce too.  It is only my first blush, so I am sure I will be modifying this recipe to get it closer to perfection.  It has a texture much like applesauce.  So far we have tasted it alongside Crab Rangoons, as a dip for pretzels and I will be using this as a stuffing layer in a boneless pork roast next week.   So here goes!  If you try this, I would love to know your thoughts.

Plum Sauce

Ingredients:  5.5 lbs Plums (after skinning and pitting)
1.5 lbs chopped onion
1 Guajillo Pepper (Ground - 1 med dried)
1/4 cup Mirin
1 Cup White Vinegar
2 cups Brown Sugar
3/4 oz Grated Ginger
Scant Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Teriaki Sauce
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh Garlic
1 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Cinnamon

Method:  Pulse chopped, skinned plums and onions in the food processor until fine.  Take your guajillo pepper and grind in vita-mix or simlar spice ginder.  In large dutch oven, place plums, onions, and all other ingredients  and stir to combine.  Bring up to a boil and then turn heat back to simmer.  I simmered mine for about 45 minutes until it was the consistency of applesauce.   I canned the sauce. I sterlized (4) 16 oz jars and 1 8 oz jar for sampling to my customers.  We ate what was left in the pot that night with our crab rangoons...YUM.  Take the jars and boil them in your water bath for 12 minutes to sterlize.  Fill the jars with the Plum Sauce and place back in water bath canner for 15 minutes depending on your elevation.  I am as close to sea level as you can get!

2 comments:

  1. wow--i love the idea of this! i adore fruit sauces with a bit of savory and vice-versa. we use a lot of dried peppers here in texas, too, as you could probably imagine. do you leave the seeds in the guajillo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cosmiccowgirl! Yes I do leave the seeds in the Guajillo, I grind them each time I make a batch of anything so that they are superfresh. I have a vita-mix blender that I LUUURVE for this. You can try to subsitute and mix and match any type of pepper of course, but I love the crisp, narrow heat of the Guajillo myself. It is an all-around wonderful pepper :) Can't wait for you to try this recipe and let me know what you think! It is very apple-saucy in texture, but I love that.

    ReplyDelete